has various means by which we support excellent provision for all learners.
- By being members of this professional organisation, Learning Support teachers, Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators, (SENCOs), Teacher Assistants (TA) and Learning Support Assistants (LSA) are part of a supportive network where questions or concerns can be raised either through the termly issued journal “Support for Children,” conferences and workdays held throughout the year or through contact with colleagues who are willing to offer support and advice.
- SWASEND can arrange qualified SEN advisers to visit schools, support teachers, carry out assessments and class screenings. Assessments include literacy, numeracy, hearing, movement and reflex.
- SWASEND colleagues provide training though various formats: input in Steiner Waldorf teacher training seminars, delivering INSET training, conferences and workshops, offering support to individual colleagues.
- SWASEND also runs Align For Learning, the specific professional training for Learning Support teachers.
SWASEND seeks to:
- bring heightened professionalism into Steiner Waldorf Learning Support.
- carry out research into effective and appropriate methods for teaching children in Steiner Waldorf Schools and beyond.
- develop resources that reflect the values and curriculum of Steiner Waldorf Education.
- provide a network of professional skills and collegial support amongst Steiner Waldorf Learning Support teachers and beyond.
- be a point of reference for those wishing to enquire about methods used by Learning Support teachers in Steiner Waldorf Schools.
- advise the Steiner Waldorf Schools’ Fellowship on matters of differentiated teaching for children with specific learning differences.
- train Steiner Waldorf Learning Support teachers.
- help bring about effective methods of teaching and increased awareness of specific learning differences in Steiner Waldorf Schools and beyond.
- advise Steiner Waldorf schools on procedures relating to the Equality Act 2010.
Becoming a Member
SWASEND is open to Learning Support teachers and SENCOs working within the mainstream, independent and Steiner Waldorf sectors.
Full membership entitles members to discounts at SWASEND sponsored conferences, workshops or lecture events. Full members will also receive Support for Children – a journal issued termly.
Membership runs from September each year.
Full membership: £15/pa or £12.50/pa if paid via standing order.
Journal subscription only: £7.50/pa.